Every home, and every living situation is different. Because everyone's needs are not the same, it is best to consult your agent to help assess your needs and find the insurance policy that is right for you. Do you need replacement cost coverage or repair cost coverage? Do you need water backup coverage? Do you have equipment or jewelry that requires special coverage? Insurance needs will vary if you are insuring a primary home, a secondary home, or renting the home to others. We have insured thousands of homes from South Haven to Kalamazoo, Bangor to Grand Rapids, Covert to St. Joseph, or Fennville to Hudsonville, and we are ready to help you insure your home.
What is Homeowners insurance?
Homeowners insurance provides financial protection against disasters. A standard policy insures the home structure itself and the things you keep in it.
Homeowners insurance is a package policy. This means that it covers both damage to your property and your liability or legal responsibility for injuries and property damage you or members of your family might cause to other people. This includes damage caused by household pets, for instance.
Damage caused by most disasters is covered but there are exceptions, so it's always best to read your policy. The most significant are damage caused by floods and earthquakes. You must buy separate policies for flood and earthquake coverage. Maintenance-related problems are the homeowners' responsibility, such as termite damage, worn roofing, mouse damage, or humidity and mold damage.
Why do you need homeowners insurance?
It is really all about protecting yourself financially if something unexpected happens to your home or possessions. That's important because chances are your home is likely one of your largest investments.
- If your home was destroyed by fire or damaged by a natural disaster, you'd need money to repair or replace it.
- If a guest in your home is injured, liability protection and medical coverage help pay expenses.
- If you are a victim of theft and vandalism, it can reimburse you for your loss or pay for repairs.
- If you are still paying for your home, your lender will require insurance.
It is important to know that homeowners insurance is meant to cover unexpected damage, not routine maintenance. Be sure to read your policy or ask questions so you know exactly what's included and what is not.
Things to consider and questions to ask about
Here are few things to discuss with your agent that will influence your decisions.
- How much will it cost to rebuild my house and replace my belongings if they are damaged or destroyed?
- Does the insurance company have a good reputation for customer service? Is it known for paying claims fairly and promptly?
- What discounts are available? Ask about multiple policy, security system, or group membership discounts.
- What's the process for filing and settling a claim?
For More Information
For help with your home insurance needs, call our office at 269-637-1181 or contact us online today.