Boat and Watercraft Insurance
Owning a boat can be a lot of fun, but buying boat insurance in Michigan might not be, so we're a local agent who's here to help. From the Lake Michigan shores of South Haven, Saugatuck, or St. Joseph and Benton Harbor, to inland lakes in Covert or Bangor, Grand Junction or Pullman and beyond, we've served clients across the state in helping them find the best priced options with the coverage that they need.
Why do you need insurance for your boat or personal watercraft?
You'll enjoy the water even more when you're not worried about the safety of yourself, your passengers or your investment. Here are a few things to consider:
- If you're in an accident or your watercraft is stolen, it costs money, often a lot of money, to fix or replace it.
- If you or any passengers are injured in an accident, medical costs can be extremely expensive.
- If your watercraft is responsible for damage or injury to others, you may be sued for damages.
- Your watercraft also needs protection when it's on land. Accidents can happen while towing a watercraft or while it's in storage.
Things to consider and questions to ask your agent
Here are a few things to consider as you prepare for the discussion:
- How much can you afford to pay if your boat or personal watercraft is in an accident, damaged or stolen?
- Is my boat or watercraft covered for use year-round?
- What discounts and programs are available?
- How much medical insurance and liability coverage is enough?
- Do I have coverage if I need to have my boat towed in an emergency?
- What's the process for filing and settling a claim?
- Does the insurance company have a good reputation for customer service? Is it known for paying claims fairly and promptly?
Home policies may provide very limited coverage for personal watercraft. Because this might not be sufficient to cover you in a loss, you may want to consider purchasing a personal watercraft policy to protect yourself and your water vehicle in the event of an accident.